When a baby is around three to seven months old, they experience teething. Teething is an exciting and extremely important part of a baby’s physical development. Sadly, it causes them pain and discomfort in their gums.
They cry a lot, they drool and stick their fingers in their mouth. They become grumpy and try to eat everything in sight. This is the time when nothing but a teething toy comes helpful.
The best teething toys help to soothe your baby’s sore gums when the teeth start growing. Also known as teethers, these toys come in different shapes, sizes, and colors.
They can be made of plastic, silicone, kid’s friendly fibers, and even wood. Some are filled with gel-like substances that can be stored in the freezer for a cooling effect. Most of them have easy-grip handles, and textured surfaces, which give different feeling’s when chewed on.
They look so adorable, colorful, and playful that a newly become parent often gets overwhelmed. Here is a list of 10 best teething toys for your little one.
Choose whichever you like, just keep in mind this few factors-
- Safety: This is the first thing that you should consider while buying a teething toy for your baby. Makes sure it’s free of BPA and any harmful chemicals. Avoid toys that are small, breakable, and reach far inside. Your baby might stick the whole thing inside their mouth and choke on them.
- Toys with sounds: Some teething toys are made to play around. They make rattling sounds in which babies love too much and have bright colors to grab their attention. Would you mind the noise in your room?
- Avoid necklace teethers: As reported by the American Academy of Pediatrics or AAP, teething necklaces and beads are not safe for the kids. They can cause choking hazards.
If you have some time and want to know more about teething toys, there’s a teething toy Buying Guide for a newly become parent.
Best Teething Toys for Babies 2020
Get your baby this fantastic 10 set of teething toys and watch him play. This is more than just a teether toy. It’s a set of 10 different toys with different textures on the sides which your baby will love to chew, grab, and shake as he learns the basic motor skills. These are free of BPA, latex, and phthalates and completely safe for the baby’s tender gums.
- Soothes sore gums
- No filling liquids
- Some toys make rattling sounds
- Each toy has different textures for sucking, chewing and squeezing
- Squeezing toys make sounds like ‘pa pa,’ ‘da da.’
- Enhances tactile senses
- Develops fine motor skills
- Encourages to think and solve
- No cooling effect
- Makes noise
These 5 pieces of teething toys can be stored in the freezer. So your baby can feel the soothing effects on their aching teeth. The 5 types of fruit toys also have different textures, beads, and bumps on them. They are FDA approved, free of BPA, phthalates, lead, and made of 100% food-grade silicon.
- 5 fruit toys all feel different on your baby’s gum
- The size of the toys is perfect for the little hands
- No risk of a choking hazard
- Colorful toys keep the baby entertained
- Soft silicone toys with soft bumps and beads gently massage the baby’s gum
- Easy to clean by steaming or boiling, or use a dishwasher
- It has a hint of chemical smell which disappointed a few parents
- Might get lost easily
This cute little ring-like teething toy has 2 different surfaces to chew on. The softer side is for the baby’s delicate gums. As he grows older, he likes to chew on the other, harder side. Your baby will be able to reach and chew with their front, middle, and molar teeth. You can also refrigerate the toy to prove your baby a gentle cooling sensation.
- Different surface textures gently massage the baby’s gum
- The ring holds the 3 toys, so it won’t get lost
- Kids love to grab the ring and play
- Comes in attractive colors for visual development
- PurICE technology keeps the toys cool for longer
- Free of BPA
- A bit heavy for very small babies
The teether toy maze with chewable loops is teether cum a toy. They are made of soft plastic and are BPA free. They are fun to chew. If you want, you can put it into the freezer to give your baby a gentle cooling effect. The middle tube also makes rattling sounds. So your baby can chew it, grab it, and shake it to enjoy a playful time.
- Can be refrigerated to soothe your babies aching gums
- The spiral tubing makes it easier to grab and chew
- The mesmerizing design and colorful tubes instantly grab your child’s attention
- Develops auditory senses
- Babies love to hear the rattling sound
- You cannot boil or steam it
- The rattling noise may annoy you
Babies nowadays are fond of games and gadgets. So, it’s a good idea to get him this game boy teething toy. They can grab, chew, learn, and play with it for hours while it soothes their aching gums. It’s made of silicone, and it’s free of BPA, phthalates, lead, and other harmful chemicals. For additional pain relief, you can also put the toy in the freezer.
- Bumpy textures on both sides
- Different shapes on the front side improve babies’ tactile senses
- Can be steamed or boiled to sterilize
- Dishwasher safe
- Sometimes it becomes a bit difficult to position it in small hands
This cute elephant-shaped teething toy is easy to grab and put into the mouth. It has different textures on both sides that give different sensations to the buds. Babies can feel the bumps inside their mouth and l their gums rubbed gently. It’s made of top quality food-grade silicone.
- Free of BPA, phthalates, lead, and cadmium
- One-piece teething toy. Zero chances of breaking off and chocking
- Can put in the freezer
- Lightweight and easy to grab
- The ergonomic design doesn’t let it go too far inside the mouth
- Dishwasher safe, can be boiled and steamed
- Small in size. Greater chances of getting lost
This sparkling water teether will instantly grab your baby’s attention. It’s a pack of three teethers with different textures on the surfaces. Your baby will love to chew and squeeze the watery toys. They have the perfect shape and size to fit in the baby’s hands. They are BPA free.
- Filled with water and no harmful chemicals
- Can be cooled inside a freezer
- Colorful teethers work as visual stimuli
- Dishwasher safe
- Zero risks of chocking and leakage
- They are made of plastic. Washing them in high temperature can melt the product
- They are bigger than what they seem
This pretty carrot-shaped teether has two convenient handles for your baby’s little hands. Unlike other teethers, which tend to be too soft, it has the perfect thickness, not too firm, not too squishy. The carrot has textured surfaces which massages your baby’s tender gums and provide them some relief.
- BPA, phthalates, lead, cadmium free
- Very affordable
- The color orange attracts a child
- Two teething sides
- Perfect size, no chances of chocking
- You can steam it but not boil it. High temperatures can melt the product
- Could have more textures to chew on
Teething babies are always excited to try adult foods. This berry looking teethers are perfect for them. Its bright red color entices your child to put them inside their mouth. As they start chewing, the bumps on the berry give a gentle massage to your baby’s sore gums.
- Made of BPA free food grade silicone
- Different textures on the berry, leaves and the holder
- Perfect size to hold and chew
- Can be kept in the freezer
- Doesn’t contain any harmful liquid
- Non-toxic and nature-inspired
- Affordable and available in other colors
- It’s made of two pieces. So be careful of breaking it causing a choking hazard
- Doesn’t stay cold for very long
An adorable giraffe in the form of a teether, your baby will love to play with this. This is also made of soft, baby-safe silicones. This teether is a bit on the firmer side, which is good if your baby doesn’t like chewing a soft and mushy teether. Its single mold product means no choking hazard.
- Balanced thickness. Not too soft nor too hard
- Made of food-grade silicone
- Dishwasher safe
- Two different textures to stimulate bubs
- The long ears can reach the molar teeth
- Bright colors develop baby’s vision
- Difficult to hold
- The long “antennas” of the giraffe might gag a very small child
Best Teething Toy Buying Guide
With the wide variety of shapes, colors, and textures finding the best teething toy can be confusing and overwhelming. You need to sort some things out before buying a teether for your newborn. Here is the list of all the important factors that will help you narrow down our choices.
- The material: Teething toys can be made of plastic, silicone, soft fabrics, and wood. Some parents worry too much about their babies chewing on plastic and ingesting some harmful chemicals. Most of the time, these toys are free of BPA, phthalates, lead, etc. If it’s still not satisfactory, choose a silicone teether.
- Cooling effect: Some teething toys are filled with gels or liquid substances that can be stored in the refrigerator for a cooling effect. Babies love to feel this cooling sensation on their gums. But if it scares the hell out of you thinking about your baby making a hole in the toys and swallowing the gel, it’s better to skin these types.
- Easy-grip: It’s important for the baby to get a good grip over his toys. Otherwise, he will keep on dropping it and will get frustrated. Toys that have rings and holes give the best grip to small hands. Whereas one-piece toys make it difficult for little hands to grab and play.
- Different textures and thickness: Teething toys that have different textures give different sensations to babies’ gums. It feels good to the buds. They also have different thickness and firmness. In the early days of teething, they like to chew on soft and squishy toys. But as they start growing their teeth, they prefer something firmer and chewy.
- Noise: Some toys make squeaking noise as they are chewed on. This may give pleasure to your little one but annoy you. Some toys also make rattling sounds. So think about it. Are you okay with the noise in your room?
- Choking hazard: This is a serious issue. Your baby it’s going to put it in their mouth and play. So strictly avoid toys that are small or can be broken into parts. Avoid toys that have long tails or narrow-straight handles that go far inside the mouth or toys that can be broken into pieces.
- Hygiene: Damp and wet surfaces grow bacteria and molds. So, a teething toy that will always be dripped in salvia has a high chance of causing infection and disease. Make sure you can easily wash and sanitize your toys.
The iPlay, iLearn 10pcs Baby Rattles Teether is the best teether toy according to use. We love that they have made out something that can help you learn and soothe their aching gums. They can play with it for hours and enjoy the rattling sound. It’s made of plastic, but it is totally free of BPA, phthalates, and latex.
If you don’t like it, you can opt for the silicon made 5 fruit teethers. They look and taste delicious. You can also put them into the freezer to give your baby a cooling, relaxing toy to chew on. This is also an inexpensive option. Moreover, you can boil, steam, or put it into the dishwasher.