When it comes to toys, little children can be very picky. They instinctively like and dislike toys. At some point, it might even seem challenging to get your baby the toy he or she will love.
These are common, and you will figure things out once you read our simple guide on buying toys for six-month-old babies.
Here are a few things that you might want to keep in mind while buying toys for your child;
Multi-sensory experience– Find toys that offer a multi-sensory experience to your kid. Toys that rattles, moves, make sound, and has lights will interest and develop your child better than other varieties.
Educational Value– By six months, a baby starts speaking his first words. Your baby will also begin to have a better understanding of his immediate environment right about this time. So, buying toys with educational value can prove to be highly beneficial for your child. However, make sure that it is colorful and easy to handle.
Safe Toys- A toy must interest a baby. But it should never be at the cost of safety. Avoid tiny toys, as they pose a problem of choking hazard. Also, always buy non-toxic toys, so that they are safe during the teething months of your little one.
Here are the best toys that you can buy for 6-month-old babies.
Best Toys for 6 Month Old Babies
Best Toys for 6 Month Old Babies: Reviews
This exciting baby walker has a removable play desk. Your baby is very likely to show curiosity in the colorful play panel and develop motor skills while playing with it.
- Five colorful piano keys that play Music
- Three shape sorters
- It has over seventy sing-along songs
- The activity panel can be removed from the walker
- The wheels of the walker will roll on the carpeted floor or any other hard floor
- Toy telephone handset for pretend play
- Requires 2 AA batteries (included in the package)
This frog-themed floor seat is one of the best gifts for your baby. It will not only keep your baby in one place but also keep him entertained with the colorful toys that are attached to the handle.
- You can remove the seat pad and give it for a wash
- It helps the baby to sit up straight
- 2 toys attached to the handle
- It can be easily folded and stored away
- The size of the seat it 21 x 15.6 inches
- The maximum weight it can carry is 25 pounds
Is your baby a curious little soul and react very well to different types of sounds? If yes, bring home this musical table. It plays different sounds at the touch of buttons. This table will also encourage your baby to stand on his own while he is playing with it.
- Removable play panel
- It has 70+ songs
- Each button plays a different sound
- Introduces the concept of letters, colors, and shapes
- The size of this product is 14.5 x 18 x 17.4 inches
- Requires 3 AA batteries (comes within the box)
This dinosaur toy encourages kid’s involvement. It has six colorful balls. These balls, once inserted into the net, either pop into the air or rolls from the dino’s mouth. It encourages your baby to collect the balls back to repeat the same fun.
- Six colorful balls
- Ball popping fun
- The ball rolls out of dinosaur’s mouth
- Encourages baby to crawl
- There are eight types of silly sounds
- Two volume control options
- Size of this toy is 4.8 x 18 x 10.5 inches
- Requires three batteries
- Good for motor skill development
This fun toy will awaken your child’s curiosity and encourage him or her to sit straight. It has five sides of fun packed in one cube shape. The removable parts are big enough and do not pose the threat of any possible choking hazard.
- Five sides of fun activities
- Two electronic panels
- Plays two nursery rhymes
- Introduce the concepts of colors, numbers, and animals
- Five piano keys
- 75+ children songs
- Spinner lights
- Improves hand and eye coordination
- Requires 2 AA batteries
Babies have so much fun listening to rattling sounds. In this set, you get ten pieces of rattling colorful toys that your child can play with. These can also act as teethers as they are entirely safe. Your kid can shake, spin, grab, and rattle these toys. However, make sure to sanitize them from time to time.
- Rattle toys that act as teethers
- Each toy has a different grip
- Helps in tactile development
- Few toys have a button that plays sound
- Babies get a better idea of colors and shapes
- Size- 6 x 3.5 x 2 inches
Your baby will love this colorful bee on a cloud toy. It has pretty lights and moves in random patterns. This encourages your child to observe, crawl, and follow it as he learns to take his first steps. You can remove the bee from the cloud too.
- The cloud moves in random patterns
- The toy has an obstacle sensor
- Removable bee rattler
- Creates buzzing sound
- Promotes observing, crawling and following
- Requires 3 AA batteries
- Size of this toy is 5.5 x 5.5x 4 inches
Onesies are just the cutest outfit for babies. They look incredibly adorable in any color or print. These particular ones are made of 100% cotton and will keep your six-month-old kid very comfortable.
- Made of pure cotton
- The set contains four onesies
- Different color and patterns
- Bunny themed
- Has a zip opening in the front
- The onesies have mitten cuffs
Children excel at anything when they are introduced early to the concept. So giving your child a few toy books is an excellent idea.
This set contains six books and each book has a different theme. These picture books are made of fabric., so it is lightweight and best for pre-reading prep-up.
- Made of non-toxic fabric
- Six different themed books- animal, sea world, vehicle, fruit, vegetables, and number
- The books contain pictures
- Lightweight and suitable for kid’s handling
Splashing water is a fun activity. But you cannot let your child get wet all the time, no matter how much he loves water. This water mat is a solution for your splash-loving baby to have some fun. Lay this mat in front of your child after inflating and let the play begin.
- Strong PVC material
- The Rim is inflated with air
- The inner sphere is filled with water
- Develops head, shoulder and neck muscles
- Colorful and eye-catching graphics
- Helps during tummy time
This too is one of the best water mats that you can buy for your baby. It is filled with water and has a durable leak-proof design. While playing with this water mat, your baby will develop stronger legs, shoulders, and neck. This tummy time mat will prepare the baby to crawl early.
- Leakproof mat
- Heavy-duty PVC material
- Floating toys
- BPA free, non-toxic material
- Inflate outer sphere
- Fill the inner sphere with water
- Strengthens baby’s back, shoulders, and neck
This toy is in a book form with seven pages. Each page has a rhyme that it plays on the pressing of a button. It also has four movable toys and characters that light up. Let your baby listen to the rhymes, see the book, and do some early learning.
- There are seven nursery rhymes
- Movable parts on pages
- Three light-up parts
- On/Off switch
- Requires battery to work
- Two volume control buttons
Babies love soft toys. This fish is not only soft but also very colorful. It has a crinkly texture that will surely fascinate your child. It has a squeaky tail. It is one of the toys your child simply won’t stop loving.
- Bold crinkly texture
- Improves tactile sense
- Very soft
- Can be hung on the wall
- Safe to play with
Gift your baby girl this set of onesies to keep her comfortable during the winters. This pair of footed sleep and playsuits are made of fleece with a zipper that stretched from neck to ankle. With these onesies, you will not have to worry whether your baby is warm enough or not again.
- Material: Fleece
- Sleeves: Long
- Zipper: Ankle to neck
- Print: Cute animals
- Suitable for: 6-month babies
- Wash care: Machine wash
- Comfortable onesies that keep babies warm
You can buy this toy book for some fun time with your little baby. This fabric book has questions and hides the answer under a peek-a-book flap. Inspire your baby’s early learning with this jungle-themed colorful book. It also has a few rhymes and stories that you can read out to your child. However, do not forget to give it for a machine wash every now and then.
- Colorful book with pictures
- Peek-a-boo fun
- Contains rhymes and stories
- Six pages
- Encourages imagination
This is a classic set of toys with multiple uses. It is fun to assemble and disassemble these blocks. These are soft with engraved figures of numbers and animals. It is a superb toy for developing your baby’s tactile sense. Your little one can also chew on them as they are made of BPA free plastic.
- Ten blocks of different colors
- Each block has several animals and a number embossed
- Squeezable cube that squeaks
- BPA free material safe
- The toy set comes in a clear bag for storage
This activity bar is designed to give your baby an enjoyable tummy time. The switches light up when touched or when the baby spins the rattle drum in the center. This toy has three modes to choose from. It is a perfect gift to make the apple of your eye more joyful.
- Plays soothing music
- Lights up when activated
- Collapsible design for easy storage
- Plays the names of colors and animals in three languages—English, French, and Spanish
- It has three modes—colors, animals and xylophone
It is a set that includes a stacking toy to help little babies understand the concept of sizes. It also includes a set of blocks that your child can play with. Your child can sort the shapes and put them back in their designated places.
- The toy set contains five stacking rings and ten colorful blocks
- Develops the hand and eye coordination
- Improves problem-solving skill
- Comes in a box
- Portable and easy to store
Entertain your child with this educational toy book. It is made of fabric that your child can choose to observe or just play with. In this book, there are crinkly pages, mirrors, and squeakers. It is a book that has educational value and entertainment-packed on every page.
- Handmade book
- Fun activities like- Peek a boo flap, mirror, squeaker, etc.
- The book has pictures, rhymes, and stories
- Educational value
- It is made of polyester and is non-toxic
- The handle makes it easier for attaching to baby beds or strollers
A couple of colorful toys that kids can chew during their teething months can put them instantly in a good mood. The set consists of twenty pieces of toys in three varieties. These squeezable toys improve motor skill development. Sanitize them from time to time for keeping them cleans as your baby might often chew on them.
- The toy set contains 20 pieces
- It has eight pieces of blocks, four animals and eight textured balls of varying sizes
- Lightweight toys
- Overall sensory development
- Educational value as each block has a number
- The toy set comes in a transparent bag for easy storage
Your baby can develop his motor skills with this interactive puppy. Just pull the string and watch it walk. It has a few keys attached to the ring on its mouth that jingles as the puppy moves. Your child can hold the string to have a toy companion during his or her first steps.
- Interactive play puppy sings on pulling the string
- Ring with keys makes the toy more fun
- Three buttons on the body that says color names
- Baby can hold the string while the puppy moves
- The nose lights up while the toy is active
- Requires 2 AAA batteries
- Attracts a baby’s interest and promotes motor skills
Your child will love playing with this colorful bumpy ball. It has a textured surface with chunky size bumps over it. This ball also has a rattling feature that will catch the interest of your baby thoroughly. It will not roll away far on throwing, which is perfect for a six-month baby. The ball is mostly made of soft fabric except for the two rattling spheres.
- Very suitable for six-month baby
- Improves tactile sensitivity
- Soft and lightweight
- Two rattlers attached to the ball
- Encourages holding, lifting and throwing
This toy set is a new form of peek-a-boo game that your six-month-old baby will be very interested in playing. The toy set contains a pack of six eggs that cracks open to reveal a colorful chick that squeaks.
- The toy comes in the form of an egg crate box containing six eggs
- Each egg can be opened
- The chicks inside are squeaky
- Improves motor skills
- Develops hand-eye coordination
- Good build quality
This learner’s activity cube has five sides of interactive fun. With this cube, your child will learn the names of animals, sounds, and shapes from a very early age.
- Five sides of activity-based playing
- Plays the sound of animal names and lights up
- Toys attached to sides can be moved
- Colorful and encourages to take the first baby steps
- BPA free plastic cube is safe for babies
- Has 2 volume adjusting levels
- Auto shut off feature
- Functions with 2 AAA batteries
You must select toys for your six-month-old child with a little care. At this age, their likes and dislikes are starting to form. So, introducing them to new experiences and sensations is essential, as these would channelize their likes and habits.
We have selected the list of the toys very carefully so that they are not only a source of fun for your child but helps in development as well.
A few soft books, toys that give multi-sensory experiences like the ‘Skip Hop Explore & More Follow-me Bee’ or the ‘Sassy Developmental Bumpy Ball’ are good toy options. However, do not forget to include items that help in your munchkin’s physical development as well. For instance, adding the ‘Fisher-Price Sit-Me-Up Floor Seat’ and ‘VTech Pull and Sing Puppy’ to the toy stash would be great.