Board games are a terrific way to get your kid to take some time off of their screen time. Board games are classic, old school and packs a blend of both education and fun. Something that is rare these days. They are economical too.
The history of board games goes centuries in history. Through the years, hundreds of these games have surfaced. And so, we are left with an overwhelming array of choices before us. Some of these board games are classics, while some others are games we haven’t heard of.
So, how to choose the best board game for kids?
It is actually very simple. To help you narrow down your options, we are here to help. Let’s start by telling you the two most important factors that you should consider while purchasing a board game for your child:
- Age Recommendation: The toy-making brands do enough market research and testing to understand whether a game is appropriate for a certain age group or not. They write the minimum age for each of the games on the box. While buying a board game, always refer to it. This will help you in getting hold of the right game that is neither too easy nor too tough for your child.
- Educational Value: Small kids learn from everything around them. So, we suggest you give your child a game that develops their various faculties. This way, your little one gets to have fun and learn at the same time. Win-Win!
To know more about other factors, please read our Buying Guide. And if you want to check out the ten best board games for kids, it is right below.
Best Board Games
|Board Games||Minimum Age||Number of Players||What We Like||What We Don’t Like||Buy Now|
|Ravensburger Labyrinth Board Game||7 years||2 or 4 players||Enhances problem-solving skill||Small parts can get lost||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|ThinkFun Zingo Bingo||4 years||Up to 7 players||Helps in quick-thinking||Small parts pose choking hazard||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Monopoly Disney Frozen 2 Edition Game||8 years||2 to 6 players||Unique and beautiful board||Takes a long time||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Hasbro Gaming Candy Land Kingdom||3 years||2 to 4 players||Classic game||Can be frustrating||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Hasbro Gaming Don't Break the Ice||3 years||2 to 4 players||Unique game||Setting up takes time||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Hasbro Classic Operation Game||6 years||1 to 2 players||Teaches precision||Does not look very presentable||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Yesmarks Kids Game Dart Board||6 years||2 to 8 players||Augments aim and motor skills||Balls can get lost||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Regal Games Classic Card Games||4 years||NA||Colorful cards||Can be too engaging||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Monopoly Junior Board Game||5 to 8 years||2 to 4 players||Easy game||Not suitable for older kids||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Hasbro Gaming Sorry! Game||6 years||2 to 4 players||Game for all ages||Relies too much on chances and luck||CHECK ON AMAZON|
10 Best Board Games Reviews
The Ravensburger Labyrinth is an immensely popular game that we think is the best because it is fun and develops problem-solving capabilities in kids.
In this game, two to four players can join in at a time. First, they set the board and place all the pieces on it. They also place their color-coded characters on it. After the board is all set, there is one puzzle piece left.
Players are challenged to push in the remaining piece in such a way that paves the path to reach the goal.
After each move, the color-coded character of a player moves along the board. The first person to win all the treasures wins the game.
Apparently, it is a simple game, but it challenges the mind in a positive way. It is a moderately cost-effective board game that is best for all ages. However, we don’t recommend it for kiddos who are below seven years.
- Suitable age is 7 years and up
- 2 to 4 players can participate in the game
- It includes a board, maze puzzle pieces, mini characters, quest and treasure cards
- Playing time for each round is 20 to 30 minutes
- Enhances problem-solving ability
- Fun and interesting game
- Rounds do not take much long to finish
- Small parts can get lost
Zingo is an award-winning board game that teaches toddlers and kids to think and act faster. It is a simple game with educational value that makes kids smarter.
The set includes— 6 double-sided Zingo cards, 72 tiles, and a Zinger.
After the Zinger dispenses the tiles, and kids will have to be fast enough to match the dispensed tiles on a matching slot in their game cards.
There are two sides to each game card— a green and a red. If your child is below six years, we suggest you use the simpler green side. If they are above seven years, then you can use the red side.
The words on the tiles are simple three or four-letter ones. These are easier for kids to read and memorize.
It is one of the best board games for kids because it enhances vocabulary, augments reading skills, and helps in quick thinking.
- Suitable for children above 4 years
- 7 players can participate in the game
- The set includes— One zinger, 6 double-sided cards, and 72 spelling tiles
- Each round takes between 15 to 20 minutes
- Helps in developing reading skills
- Develops quick thinking
- Enhances vocabulary
- It can accommodate up to 7 players
- The little tiles pose a choking hazard for small children
The Disney Frozen edition of the traditional monopoly game is beautifully designed. In this game, instead of buying places, you get to purchase several memorable scenes from the Frozen movie.
It is a skillful game that we think is suitable for kids above eight years. This is one of the best board games for kids and can be played by 2 to 6 players at the same time.
The Frozen version of the Monopoly has a few twists, which makes it all the more interesting. There are exclusive slots on the board and drawable cards like the Snowflake, Family Decree, and Royal Chest that give you an advantage over your opponents.
- Best for children above the age of 8
- 2 to 6 players can take part in the game at a time
- Playing time is over an hour
- Set includes the monopoly board, six frozen figures, currency wad and manual
- Engaging game
- Beautifully designed
- Develops analytical sense in kids
- Incorporates a dimension that is beyond transactional dealings
- Takes long to complete the game
Our generation grew up playing the Candy Land Kingdom. If you are searching for the best board game for beginners, then this one makes a terrific starting point.
The board game comes with the Candyland board, four gingerbread man pawns (of different colors), and colored cards.
Each player places the pawn at the starting point and draws a card. Then the player acts according to what the card dictates. The kid who reaches the Candyland kingdom first wins. Simple.
It is mostly a beginner’s game that can be played by kids who are about three years or slightly older.
Although it is a classic kids’ board game, it can be frustrating for some kids if they fail in the quest repeatedly.
The Candy Land Kingdom is one of the best board games for kids because it is easy, fun, interesting, develop counting, and color recognition in kids.
- The Candyland Kingdom is for kids who are 3 years and above
- 4 players can participate in this game
- The time for completion depends on the speed of the players
- Classic game
- Rainbow paths add thrill to the board game
- Helps in basic counting and color recognition
- Enhances fine motor skills
- Captures the essence of adventure very well
- Might be frustrating if players get stuck or slide back on the trail
Breaking the Ice is something we always want when it comes to our kids. But this game says quite the opposite.
In this board game, you get an ice tray frame, 32 cubes of plastic cubes (ice), two hammers, and a penguin.
The first thing to do is to fit all 32 ice blocks snugly inside the ice frame. Then place Philip, the penguin atop it. Each player will take turns and hammer down one block of ice.
You are in the game as long as you manage to keep Philip above the tray. While smashing the ice, if Philip falls, you are out of the game.
It is one of the best board games for kids because it engages the children, helps them think more rationally, and takes little time to complete each round.
- Suitable for kids who are above 3 years
- Each round takes between 1 to 3 minutes
- Set includes 1 ice tray frame, 32 blocks of plastic ice structures, Philip the penguin
- 2 to 4 players can join in at a time
- Unique game design
- Develops hand-eye coordination
- Improves motor skills
- Encourages analytical thinking
- Setting up the ice tray frame takes time
- Inclusion of two more hammers would have been better
Hasbro has always aced in creating the best toys for children. And this product is no different. The Classic Operation is a fun board game for kids that teaches them the concept of body parts, precision, and following instructions.
On the board, there is a picture of Sam, who has a lot going on in his body. The game also includes a pair of tweezers and a bunch of cards.
Kids will have to draw out one card at a time and remove the ailed part from Sam’s body. The more correct parts your child removes, the more points they score.
Children will love playing doctor, and parents would love visiting back their childhood memories with this board game for kids. It is a classic kids’ game that they will certainly like.
- The game lasts for 20 to 25 minutes
- Suitable for kids who are 6 years and up
- 1 to 2players can play with it
- Set includes the board, 13 detachable cardboard body parts, and a pair of tweezers
- The nose lights up when the tweezer touches the side
- Classic operation board game
- Teaches the concept of body parts
- Improves fine motor skills
- Promotes hand-eye coordination
- The light-up nose is a fun feature
- The exclusion of monetary value on the scorecards would have been more appropriate
- It does not look too presentable
The colorful dartboard is made of fabric and is an excellent gift for kids. The game comes with eight little balls that stick easily on to the board.
The dimension of the board is 13.8 inches, and it comes with a hook that makes it easily mountable. Four of these balls are red, and four are in blue. Hence, kids can form teams and take part in the game.
It is an awesome board game that kids can play among themselves. Or you can take a share of your time out to have some quality time with your little one.
- Each round takes between 5 to 7 minutes
- Suitable for kids above 6 years
- 2 to 8 players can play at a time
- The diameter of the board is 13.8 inches
- Set includes a fabric dartboard and 8 balls
- The lightweight board is easy to mount
- Up to 8 kids can join in
- Colorful dartboard makes a good gift
- Helps in developing aim
- Kids can easily lose the little balls
- Slightly expensive
All Kids have a love for colorful cards. Hence, we have listed this set of cards in this article as one of the best board games for kids. The game includes six decks of cards with which you and your child can play several games.
The card sets that are included are Slap Jack, Crazy 8’s, War, Go Fish, Old Main, and Monster Memory Match.
These cards are colorful and of good quality. So, if you want a game that your child would treasure, settling for these 6 packs of kids’ cards is a great idea.
It is suitable for all kids who are four years and above. The cards are laminated and will not fade away. Also, as the material is paper, it is a completely safe game for your little munchkin.
- Suitable for kids of 4 years and above
- Set includes 6 decks of cards
- The cards are laminated
- Kids learn colors, numbers, and animals
- Good quality cards have lamination coatings
- Kids can play several games with the cards
- Card games can take a little while to finish as kids tend to go for several rounds
- Can be too engaging
If Monopoly was your favorite game growing up, then you can introduce your kid to the same game with this junior Kids Monopoly board. This game is ideal for young players who want to ace everything.
The set includes a monopoly board, 48 sold signs, chance cards, a dice, and four very cute pawns. We are listing it as one of the best board games for kids because it is colorful, classic, and interesting.
If you want your child to stay on his own or be engaged for a long time, then this is a game you can bank on. Just call a few of their friends over and let them immerse in the entertaining game.
This game is a time-consuming one. It can be both a pro or a con, depending on how you see it.
- Suitable for kids between 5 to 8 years
- 2 to 4 players can play at a time
- Typically takes about an hour or two for completion
- The tokens are super cute ones
- Very suitable for kids
- Well designed board
- Good for parent-child bonding
- Can be a tad too easy for older kids
‘Sorry’ is a classic board game that all love to play, irrespective of their age. The board game comes with the board, pawns, and a set of cards that each player draws when their turn arrives.
The card each player draws decides their imminent move and the opponents’ fate in the game. It is a terrific game that lets kids have uncomplicated fun.
The game starts when kids draw a 1, 2, or a sorry card. Then the entire course is based on fate and playing strategy.
It is one of the best board games which teaches kids how they can control their pawns even if the situation is uptight. ‘Sorry’ isis a miniature version of how real-life works.
- Suitable for kids above 6 years
- It takes about 40 minutes to complete one round
- 2 to 4 players can play the board game
- Set includes the board, 12 sorry pawns, and 44 cards
- The game is suitable for all ages
- Good quality Sorry board game
- Great for parent-children bonding
- The game relies a little too much on chances and luck
Things to Consider While Purchasing a Board game for Your Kid
If you are wary that you might select a board game that your child might not like, then we have got your back. We have already discussed two of the most important factors. Here are four more things that you might like to know.
Just purchase a board game by keeping in mind all these factors, and you are good to go.
1. Time Engagement
All books and no fun will make any child a dull person. But there should be a balance between the two. So, before you choose a board game for your child, take into consideration the kind of time a game requires.
If you see that a game takes a long time to complete, then playing it will certainly consume a lot of time. This might hamper the school-based learning of your child. We think it is best to stick to games that require 5 to 40 minutes per round.
However, you can always keep a few of the super-fun games that require loner time in stock. These games can be for special days like sleepovers or festivals.
2. Ethics & Morals
Kids have an impressionable mind. Hence, we should always be very careful while choosing a game for them. We strongly suggest that you avoid any board game that has an element of violence or immorality in it. These might look like a small factor, but it matters big time.
To ensure your kids become a good human, and a responsible citizen, avoid any game that is unethical or immoral. Irrespective of how interesting they are.
3. Safety Factor
This is one of the most important considerations. Little ones often use toys as teethers. Hence the game should be free from harmful substances. All the games you give your child should be free from BPA, lead, or phthalate.
Also, avoid gifting a game that has small parts to a child who is younger than five years to avoid choking hazards.
4. Build Quality
Generally, kids do not handle their toys with care and caution. Board games that aren’t sturdy enough are likely to break or tear soon enough.ound such board game and So, we suggest paying special attention to the build quality of a board game if you don’t want to repeat your purchase.
5. Number of Players
A board game that has rooms for many players is a better choice. Especially if you have many kids at home.
The whole family can sit around such board games and enjoy some bonding time. Also, your child can invite a few friends for some fun time.
Board games are a superb way to entertain kids, keep them engaged, and improve their social skills. While there are innumerable options available in the market, here are a few we recommend the most.
We think the Ravensburger Labyrinth to be the best board game in the market. It is interesting, engaging, and requires kids to harness their problem-solving ability.
Our second choice is the ThinkFunZingo Bingo. This game helps kids learn new words, brush up their reading skills, and help them think quicker.
Let us know your thoughts about this article by writing to us. And if you have any queries, please comment below. We shall surely reply ASAP.