The moment a child becomes a toddler, he steps into a new world of opportunities. So when it comes to the overall growth of a small kid that is just learning to balance his body weight, biking can turn out to be effective.
However, the problem comes when the parents go to buy a balance bike. Unless and until you have a well-formed decision, it’s difficult to buy a good balance bike. In this article, we’ll take a look at various aspects that should be considered while buying a balance bike for your toddler. We have also enlisted 8 best balance bikes, which can save you a lot of time as well.
The basic material that is utilized for developing a balance bike is an extremely important aspect to consider while investing in it. Young kids get easily frustrated with things they can’t handle easily, and if the bike is heavy, it’ll be difficult for him to handle. Also, most bikes out in the market are made out of steel, and you can also find bikes made out of aluminum.
Aluminum is comparatively lighter than steel, and when it comes to toddlers, you should prefer the lightest possible. Also, you can invest in a bike that is constructed out of plastic; however, make certain that plastic isn’t as durable as the above. If you are ready to spend a decent amount, then go for a bike that’s made out of aluminum.
Size is the first thing you should consider while buying a balance bike. By size, we not only mean the size of the bike, but also the reach of kids to the handlebar. When it comes to the size, the bike should neither be smaller nor bigger and then what is required. A bigger size can create problems in handling, and the smaller size is also not suitable. These sorts of bikes are uncomfortable, and remember, if the kid is not happy with the bike, he won’t go for a ride happily.
The idea bike size for toddlers is 12 inches or 14 inches, depending on your child. This is basically the measurement of the wheel, but it’s not the only thing you should look at. Try taking your kid along with you, so that you can have a better overall idea of which size to buy.
You can find some of the best balance bikes for toddlers mentioned here in this article. And to help you in understanding their differences, we have mentioned their major features and options. Not only that,but you can even find a detailed Buying Guide down below for successfully picking up the perfect balance bike for your children.
Enlisted are 8 Durable and good quality Toddler-suites balance bikes:
Best Balance Bikes for Toddlers
|Balance Bike For Toddlers||Weight of the bike||Suitable for||Buy Now|
|Strider -12 Sport Balance Bike||6.7 pounds||18 months to a 5-year-old kid||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Strider -12 Classic Balance Bike||6.7 pounds||1 to 3-year-old kids||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Hape Scoot Around Ride-on Wood Bike||5.6 pounds||12 months and older||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|TheCroco Lightweight Balance Bike||6 pounds||20 months to 3 years||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Ancaixin Baby Balance Bikes||5 pounds||10 months to 2 years||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Yvolution Y Velo Junior Toddler Bike||8.4 pounds||18 months to 4 years||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Bixe Aluminum Balance Bike||4 pounds||3 to 5 years old||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Bammax Baby Balance Bike||4 pounds||1-2 years old||CHECK ON AMAZON|
8 Best Balance Bikes for Toddlers Reviews
Strider-12 Balance Bike comes into the category of widely known bikes, and this is mainly because of it’s overall performance, quality and durability. This kind of bike is known to be the perfect choice for your child’s first bike. Also, this is best suitable for a kid who is between 18 months and 5 years. The pneumatic tires allow a good grip while riding. If your kid is outgoing and has a knack for adventure and thrill, then this product is definitely for your child.
The bikes from this brand are very well designed, so your kids can be lean in, extend their legs, and even glide, but that won’t risk their safety. Moreover, the bike comprises a footrest that makes it good enough for correct foot placement of a kid and hence, more safety.
- It is affordable and weighs only 6.7 pounds
- This bike comes equipped with foam tires.
- Adjustable bike seat (height 11 inches to19 inches)
- It comes with handlebar pads and extended seat post.
- Well designed.
- Easy to ride for a small kid.
- Small frame.
- Not ideal for non-paved surfaces.
- Doesn’t have a handbrake
When you are looking forward to investing in a balance bike for your toddler, the strider-12 classic bike, which is widely accepted and trusted, becomes the very first choice to go for. This bike ensures safety if appropriately tackled. Also, this classic balance bike has been designed specifically for 1 to 3 years old kids. It has extra-padded seats, which can also be adjusted; it comes with foam tires. It doesn’t have pedals and functions mainly by foot-push.
Kids are further able to enhance their overall lower body strength, especially of their legs, while they are having fun riding the bike. It is very affordable and durable at the same time lightweight, making it easier to carry around. These bikes have a steel frame that comes in blue, pink, and red color.
- It’s lightweight, i.e., 3.0 kg only
- This bike is able to handle a kid weighing up to 60 lbs
- It comes equipped with foam tires and has built-in footrests so the child can glide
- Well designed
- The handlebars are quite easy to adjust
- A kid can ride it smoothly
- The bike is very affordable
- Easy to maneuver.
- It comes in a small frame.
- Foam tires without cushioning.
- Not ideal for non-paved surfaces.
For small babies, Hape scoot around is the best first pushbike that educates them about balancing their body weight. Being designed for babies who are 12 months and older, this four-wheeled bike keeps them busy and amused. Also, it is driven with the use of foot and leg movement, and hence, it helps in the enhancement of strength in your kid’s leg muscles. Moreover, the bike’s wheels are constructed of rubber. This means there is hardly any appearance of marks on the floor because the tires don’t leave any.
Also, it is perfect for park walks and at the same time for riding at home or backyards. Furthermore, the remaining bike is constructed of wood and has been given a non-toxic finish that makes it even more durable and safe for a kid. The bike, moreover, is light enough to be lifted, dragged, or taken outdoors or about anywhere that you or your kids want.
- Award-winning balance bike.
- Child-safe paint has been used
- It weighs about 5.6 pounds
- It comes with rubber tires.
- Extra padded seats ensure extra comfort.
- It is made of beautiful wood and child-safe paint.
- Easy to put together and maintain.
- Attractive for kids and cute looking.
- Easy to lift, ride, and drag.
- Smaller in size.
- Not enough room to push with feet.
- A little expensive.
This bike is lightweight and well-suited for children that are from the age range of 20 months to 3 years. Equipped with great features to ensure a kid’s overall skill development when they are small and growing, it has been labeled a safe bike by many users. Moreover, it is further easier for kids to ride it without you having to worry about falling off the bike or without having to put much effort while dragging as it’s not heavy.
Also, it has durable tires, which makes it last longer than other balance bikes. It has a snap-lock adjustment for seats and a build-in footrest placement. This product is quite easy to maintain or assemble.
- Straight handlebars
- It weighs only 6 lbs
- Educates a kid about coordination
- The seat height can be adjusted from 11.5 to 18.5 inches
- It is equipped with foam tires.
- The build-in footrest has been provided.
- Quality finish.
- It has an extremely-soft handlebar.
- This bike comes with safety end screws.
- It comes with padded seats.
- This bike is a little expensive than other balance bikes for kids.
- It has a straight handlebar which doesn’t allow wrist flexibility.
Anacaixin Baby Balance Bikes makes it easier to teach toddlers how to ride a bike early on. So, while your baby is riding these bikes, you can have your peace of mind. What exactly allows this baby balance bike to be a durable and preferable option is the material it is made of, i.e., carbon steel. Moreover, it is specially designed and suitable for babies from 10 months to 2 years of age.
Even though it has passed the stringent test to ensure safety, it has some drawbacks such as it has a poor quality plastic wheel, and it is sometimes noisy. It can also smell a little after unboxing, and kids can outgrow this product very quickly.
- Lightweight as it weighs only 5 lb
- It’s highly-safe for a small kid
- 135 Degree Steering
- The maximum weight it can handle if 55 lb
- 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Affordable in cost
- It comes in a variety of colors.
- The bike is easy in order to maintain, clean, and assemble.
- Stringent Safety Tests Passed
- Not so good quality plastic wheels.
- The seat of the bike is not adjustable
Highly keeping in mind the safer side, the bike has been designed to ride smoothly on all types of surfaces. It is a 3-wheel (double wheel on the back) balance bike by Yvolution that ensures the motor skills’ development in kids as well as coordination. This bike is suitable for kids of age range 18 months to 4 years.
Moreover, the rubber over-mould tires are wide enough to ensure that the kid is riding it safely and can balance well to avoid falling or tripping over. Since it doesn’t have any pedals, the child will require utilizing his physical strength and legs to move the bike around. This will allow the kid to build overall lower body strength, especially feet and legs.
- It can handle a maximum weight of 45 lbs
- Safer steering
- Durable quality
- The seat height ranges between 11 inches and 14.17 and hence, adjustable.
- Lightweight and hence, it’s to control and manage
- Adjustable handlebar
- It comes in different color options
- No pedal design means the building of leg strength
- Not much time is taken to assemble it
- Prone to get damaged
Extremely easy to assemble, this balance bike by Bixe is available in a variety of color options. It is a must for a toddler who is 3 to 5 years old. This is also because you only require putting together the handlebars and the bike seat, and you are good to go. The bike is extremely light when it comes to its overall weight, i.e., 4 lbs.
It makes a kid lift it, move it here or there and drag it outdoors without much effort. Moreover, it is equipped with foam tires that are further comprised of safety washers, and hence, a very high-quality product is provided to the buyer. By the time the child is able to balance the weight of both himself and his bike, he has developed skills and further moves towards building confidence.
- The bike seat could be adjusted as per need from 11 inches to 17 inches
- It comes with a 100% guarantee of the replacement or repair of damaged part
- Adjustable handlebar provision is given from 20 to 24 inches
- It can handle a maximum weight of 60 lbs
- Durable and safe for kids
- Enhanced grip with inflatable rubber wheels
- Requires less maintenance and assembly
- The seat isn’t attached perfectly and hence, can loosen up while making the kid fall.
With a steering limit, i.e., 135°, this balance bike by Bammax is a perfect one for your kid to ensure a comfortable ride. It is suitable for children that are 1-2 years old. Also, the EVA tires don’t produce much noise while riding and provide safety by avoiding concerns such as getting slippery on smooth surfaces. It comes equipped with an ergonomic padded seat.
Also, it has no-pedals to ride, and hence, children must use their legs and feet to ride the balance bike while developing strength via exercising their legs and skills such as coordination. It is also a great way to make them learn to walk while practicing balancing their weight along with the weight of the bike.
- Adjustable PU leather seat
- Carbon steel frame
- It weighs about 4 pounds
- Anti-slippery EVA wheels
- The bike is very easy to set up or disassemble
- High-quality product by Bammax
- It can be used by a kid indoors as well as outdoors
- It requires helmet or adult supervision while riding
5 Tips for Buying the Best Balance Bike for your Toddler
1. Hand Brake
A balance bike is not something you buy every month, and that’s why you should consider future-proofing many aspects. The second thing after tires that makes a huge difference is handbrakes. If you give it a thought, you’ll realize that a toddler doesn’t have proper coordination to use hand brakes. Most toddlers use their feet to stop and control the bike.
But the concept of hand brakes isn’t as useless as it may sound. One day you’ll need hand brakes to get installed on your kid’s bike. So, if you want to eliminate the hassle of installing hand brakes or you don’t want to spend on a new bike, buy one with hand brakes.
2. Looks and design
The market is flooded with millions of balance bikes; the variety is so large that you can’t even imagine. Having such a large variety makes it even more difficult for the customer to decide on which one to buy. Also, there are chances that the bike you like your kid won’t like. So, considering all these things, the best option is to take your kid along with you to the market and let them choose what he or she wants.
3. Turning Limiters
Turning limiter is that part of a bike that prevents the rotation of a bike’s handle. The concept of a turning limiter in a toddler’s bike is for safety purposes only. Turning limiter prevents the child from taking sharp turns and getting injured. So, the concept of a turning limiter is implemented for safety.
If your kid’s bike has a turning limiter, that means the handle will not do a complete rotation. Also, it prevents the body part of your kid from getting into the bike’s frame or handlebar. Turning limiter had its own pros and cons. In case you don’t want any turning limiter in your kid’s bike, you can remove them anytime you want.
4. Tires of the bike
When it comes to tires, there are two types of tires available for a kid’s balance bike. The first type is the one with foam tires, and the second type is the one with pneumatic tires. Pneumatic tires are solid rubber tires filled with air. Both these tires are very different from each other. Whenever you make a decision between a bike with foam tires and one with rubber tires, keep in mind these few things.
- Pneumatic tires: Pneumatic tires are the most common tires you’ll get to see, and this is due to the overall benefits they provide. Pneumatic tires, due to their material and design, provide a better grip on the ground. Also, pneumatic tires are comparatively strong, so even if your child uses the bike on rough terrain, you don’t need to worry.
- Foam tires: Foam tires are no comparison to rubber tires, but still, if you know that your toddler will use the bike inside your premises, these are fine. Foam tires are soft and comparatively weaker.
The pricing of a balance bike for a toddler depends on numerous factors. Some factors that alter the pricing are brand, design, size, material, and type. You’ll get a decent bike in the range of $50 to $500. So, choose wisely what you spend on. Also, spending more doesn’t always mean better when it comes to the bike, buy the one that fits into your budget, and fulfills your requirements.
Remember, physical sports like cycling are essential for physical as well as mental growth. You can’t afford to skip this factor when your kid is just a toddler and is in the most important state of his overall growth. So, go for a bike without any doubt, and in case you have any doubt related to the bike selection, you can refer to these 2 highly-suggested options.
They are “Strider – 12 Sport Balance Bike” and “Hape Scoot Around Ride-on Bike.” The reason behind suggesting the former is the age range and seat height adjustment options. The latter, however, is great for its extreme comfort level for a kid and the material it is composed of, i.e., wood.
In the case, if there is any point that we missed to talk about, remind us via comments below. Until then!