After your kid starts walking, getting involved in sports is extremely important for him or her. The sport or game your kid wants to be in is entirely his decision, and you can’t alter it. However, you don’t need to worry, there are few things that every kid loves, and one such thing is a bicycle or bike.
Cycling is a great sport for the overall development of your kid, and there is no contradiction to this. The problem is how to choose one that would be best suited for your kid. In this article, we’ll look at tips that are important to consider while buying a balance bike for a 4-year-old. We also have enlisted 9 best bikes that you can opt for while looking for one. Let’s jump into some queries and tips before investing:
Weight of the bike
Children of and below the age of 5 are very likely to get annoyed very easily, and this can happen with the bike too. So, when the kid is struggling with the bike, it should be easy enough for him to handle. Weight plays a major role when it comes to handling. More weight means difficulty in handling. Also, in case the kid falls off from the bike, it’ll be easier for him to pick it up. So, whenever you go to get a balance bike for your 4-year-old, make sure it’s not heavy.
It is a thing worth noticing that kids don’t have good coordination, and that’s why using the brake is not a wise choice. Most children of age 4 and below can’t use brakes properly just because of the coordination thing. In this case, you should think that is buying a bike with brakes worth the money. If you happen to buy a bike without brakes and after a certain period of time, want one with brakes, you can install them.
We are here with some of the best balance bikes for 4-year-olds. You can even learn how these differ from each other, as we have mentioned their major features and details. And since this article also has a detailed Buying Guide, you can pick up the perfect balance bike by following this article
Below enlisted are 9 Best Balance Bikes for the overall growth and development of a for 4-year-old:
Best Balance Bike For 4 Year Old
|Balance Bike||Seat and set-up||Size Options||Buy Now|
|Royal Baby Freestyle Bicycle||Adjustable seat and 95% pre-assembled||12” to 20”||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Bixe Aluminum Balance Bike||Adjustable seat and partially assembled||11” to 17”||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Strider- 12 Sport Balance Bike||Adjustable seat and not assembled||12” to 20”||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Banana LT Balance Bike||Adjustable seat and not assembled||12.2” up to 15.7”||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Schwinn Skip Balance Bike||Adjustable seat and not assembled||12”||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Retrospec Cub Balance Bike||Adjustable seat and Minimal assembly required||12.5”||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Yvolution Y Velo Junior Toddler Bike||Adjustable seat and Minimal set up required||11” – 14.17”||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|JOYSTAR Balance Bike||Adjustable seat and easy to set up||12.6"- 18.5"||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Radio Flyer All-Terrain Balance Bike||Adjustable seat and easy to set up||14.2" – 18.5"||CHECK ON AMAZON|
Best Balance Bike For 4 year Old Review
A great way to explore and stay fit is cycling, especially for kids. Parents focus on the health of kids, and so does this RoyalBaby Kids Bicycle. This bicycle strictly focuses and pushes kids to develop a rider in them. Moreover, this bike is specially designed to help kids with biking and balancing. It comes with a sturdy steel frame and cushioned seat that offers comfort while riding.
Also, it includes training wheels, a water bottle, and an authentic bell. Furthermore, it comes with a seat height that is adjustable for children of different heights.
- Features a dual-brake system (rear coaster brakes and front caliper brakes) to ensure kid’s control over their speed
- Most of the bike is pre-assembled. You only need to assemble saddle, training wheels, pedals, and handlebars.
- Adjustable seat height
- High seat back improves balance while riding
- 95% pre-assembled, requires only 4 steps to install
- Safe and stable training wheel for beginners
- A bit difficult to store and transport as it is quite heavy
- Water bottle holder comes only on smaller versions such as 12”, 14”, and 16”
Learning to ride a bike is full of fun and adventure. So, why should it be restricted to only toddlers? Balance bikes are not restricted to toddlers. They can even be used by older kids who want to learn to ride. The 12” extreme light balance bike can be used by 18 months to 5 years old kids while 16” steel balance bike is made for 5 to 9 years old children.
Also, this bike has an effortless set-up as it comes partially assembled. Moreover, safety features have been kept in mind while designing it as every clamp in the bike is tamper-proof. This reduces the risk of fingers getting stuck. Also, the wheels come with safety washers to reduce injuries. These balance bikes build the confidence of riding in your child.
- The sturdy frame is capable of supporting a child’s weight up to 150 pounds.
- Gripped footrest provides effortless gliding
- Partially assembled, easy to assemble remaining parts
- Extremely lightweight
- Flat-free tires
- Minor seat adjustments may turn out to be time-consuming and inconvenient at times
- Wheels are quite slippery
This bike will end your search if you are looking for a lightweight training bike without any pedals or brakes. It is meant to make them learn to balance. This balance bike tops the list in terms of versatility. It is designed in a way to cater to the bicycle-riding needs of children between the ages of 18 months to 5 years. Above all, it is designed to accommodate future upgrades like a foot brake or a set of heavy-duty tires.
Additionally, it’s incredibly lightweight (3kgs), and by accompanying min-grips, it takes convenience to another level. Moreover, with all these features, this bike enables your kids to take total control over it.
- Adjustable seat height and handlebars
- Durable steel frame and puncture-proof tires
- Easily controllable by little hands as it comes with mini-grips
- Trains children in balancing, steering, and coordination
- Lightweight and easy to maneuver
- Solid tires ride on any surface, even on an uneven surface with no flats
- Padded seat allows adjustability
- Too light for some kids
- Adjustments with tools are usually needed before use. This is quite inconvenient.
This is a feather-light, upgraded model of bike that comes with a durable seat, safe grips, and EVA wheels. With features like a low center of gravity and easy step-through frame, it is an ideal training bike for 2 to 5-year-old kids. As the name suggests, it has a banana frame and seat that is quite comfortable.
Moreover, this new LT version included premium features as it is constructed with premium parts. It is lightweight with great ergonomics. The product’s model is available in three delightful colors.
- Features puncture-proof EVA wheels
- Seat adjusts effortlessly using the quick-release clamp
- Well-made product with no shortcuts on the materials
- Includes stabilizers so that kids can handle the bike easily
- Non-puncture rubber wheels never go flat
- Ultra-light frame, ultra-comfy and very durable
- A secure grip is offered by cushioned bar ends
- Easy to assemble
- Easy to carry as the handlebars, wheels, and seat can be easily disassembled
- Bar ends may come loose or even tend to fall off, exposing the metal
- No footrests
- Kids need to use their feet to stop, as there are no brakes.
If you are looking for a decent and budget-friendly ride, then Schwinn Skip Toddler Balance Bike will work well for your child. With a BMX look and a steel frame, its low center gravity and pedal-free design make it easy to ride. To make it perfect for young riders, it comes with a ball bearing headset that allows easy steering.
Also, it is designed to grow along with your growing child. Moreover, the foot-to-floor design improves coordination and confidence for bike riding. Overall, the frame, its components, and the bearings are of the best quality.
- Adjustable seat height and handlebars
- Durable and comfortable seat
- It includes footrest
- Large and cushioning air tires
- High-quality inflatable tires provide a smooth and bump-free ride
- The larger frame provides room for growth
- A bit heavy
- Less durable
- Prone to rust if left out carelessly
You will be free of stress and worries once you buy a Retrospec Cub Kids Balance Bike for your child. This maintenance-free bike is extremely safe for your little ones as it ensures safety and fewer injuries while balancing. It has an extremely safe design that reduces injury risks and helps in improving coordination at crucial developmental stages.
Moreover, it comes with a kid-friendly frame and a low-down tube that comforts your child. To move, your kid needs to make use of his feet. This reduced distance between the ground and child’s feet provides them greater control over their speed.
- Its foot-to-floor and step-through design improves balancing skills
- Involves minimal assembly
- Comes in various colors
- Air-free tires never go flat
- Light-weighted and maneuverable
- High-tensile strength steel frame and fork are almost indestructible
- It can be used on any surface
- Quality of the handle could be improved
- Does not come with mudguards
- Rubber tires would have increased its efficiency
The Y Velo Junior Bike is a stable and durable bike that builds confidence in the rider. It gives them a taste of freedom. This bike ensures a smooth and comfortable ride with reduced vibration. Also, it comes with a slot on handlebars for water bottles and other accessories. This bike will improve your kid’s motor skills and improve their overall coordination skills. What makes it stand apart is its unique dual rear wheel.
Moreover, this feature allows kids to practice with a stable double-width wheel before switching to a single wheel. Overall, this bike can be the best choice for someone looking for a balance bike as it has proper size, weight, soft, and comfortable grip with the slidable saddle. You get an assembly kit and instruction manual along with this bike.
- It is suitable for switching to a single wheel as it uses a stable double-width wheel
- Larger wheels coupled with a higher ground clearance makes it stable, even on uneven surfaces
- The bike grows with your kid as the height of the seat and handlebar are adjustable.
- The three-wheel design offers better stability.
- It is lightweight yet durable
- Rubber over-mold wheels offer great comfort and grip with no punctures
- A bit unstable for beginners
Learning to ride becomes a lot easier if you buy a bike that trains your kid with its amazing features. This bike is made to provide a complete experience of a rider to your kid. Equipped with a step-through frame, it ensures that the rider gets on and off the bike easily and conveniently. This bike helps to learn to ride and balance with minimum risk.
Without any pedal or gear, it ensures the accurate line-up riding of your little novice. It is best suited for kids from 1.5 to 5 years old. Surprisingly, it is recommended for both boys and girls. Moreover, it is made up of HI-Ten steel, making it withstand the wear and tear.
- It comes with basic assembly tools
- This enhances convenience with air-free tires
- Expandable and adjustable seat and handlebar for young tots
- Easy to set up or assemble
- Ultra-lightweight makes it easy to control
- EVA airless tires are puncture resistance
- Padded seat and soft handles ensure comfortable grips and ride
- Soft handles are quite fragile
- EVA foam tires require regular maintenance to get seamless service
This balance bike will take you back to your own childhood. If you want your child to commute in the neighborhood in a fun way, then this bike could be your selection. This balance bike comes with air tires. What grabs the most attention in this balance bike is its slightly larger size. It can be used by 2, 3, and 4-year-old kids.
Also, its large wheelbase helps kids to lean in and run easily. It minimizes the fear of falling and comforts the growing child as the seat is adequately padded. Moreover, the authentic ringing bell adds fun to the adventure.
- Wheel made by traction tires reduce the risk of road accidents
- It comes with flat axle bolts
- Adjustable seat that grows as your child grows
- Soft-touch hand grips
- Pedal-free bike for a kid that focuses on balance learning
- A longer wheelbase provides greater stability.
- Quick-release seat post clamp
- Air tires worth buying at this cost
- No handbrake
- The saddle is quite prone to ripping.
- The material is less durable
Some Queries and Tips before Buying the Best Balance Bike for a 4-year-old
1. Seat Height
When it comes to toddlers and young kids, whatever they are using should be easy and comfortable, so that they don’t develop any physical problem. And hence, things like cushioning of the seat, seat height, and least possible sharp edges are important. The seat height of the bike should be minimum possible. This is because it’s easier to handle the bike being on a lower height. Moreover, the best decision would be to buy a bike with an adjustable seat height.
2. Size of the balance bike
When it comes to the size of the balance bike, it’s one extremely important factor to consider while buying one. The size of the bike you choose should match the overall body of your young one. The bike should neither be too small nor too big, in both cases as it gets difficult to be handled.
And hence, when it comes to a 4-year-old, you can go for a bike of 12 inches. The smallest size of balance bikes that manufacturers make is 12 inches; however, if your kid is bigger enough, you can go with the 14 inches one. The size of the bike increases with an increase in age.
3. Is your kid big enough to ride the bike?
Make this question to yourself and think about it for a while. Parents tend to buy things for their young ones, which they don’t even need. Same goes for a balance bike; your kid might not be big enough to ride a bike, and giving him one can be dangerous. This is not a big problem, but it is definitely a point worth considering.
Observe your kid, and think if he is capable enough to handle a bike properly. If the answer is no, you should wait for a bit more.
4. Usability of the balance bike
Bikes for normal usage are different, and bikes for rough usage are different. Before buying a bike, you should be aware of the terrain your kid will use the bike on. Also, it might sound small, but this decision makes various changes in the bike you choose to buy.
5. How important is the styling to you?
This is something not that important, but it might cause a change in your decision. Styling matters, and especially when you are buying anything for a kid, keep in mind the factor of style. The problem lies in the fact that you can’t say what your 4-year-old would like or dislike. The best thing you can do, in this case, is to bring your kid along with you while you go to buy the bike.
When it comes to the tires in the bikes for kids, you have two options at your hand. You can either go with foam tires, or you can buy one with pneumatic ones. Foam tires are good if you know that your kid will ride the bike only inside the premises. However, I would advise you to buy the one with pneumatic tires. The reason behind this is that pneumatic tires offer better friction resulting in better grip. Also, tires made out of foam are easily destructible.
With the above-listed points, you must have understood how seat height, overall bike size and weight, pedals, breaks, material, and more can impact the overall biking experience. So before purchasing any of the above balance bikes, ensure that your checklist is as per your kid’s needs. However, if you are still confused, we have 2 recommendations that might help you out.
- The first one is the “RoyalBaby Freestyle Bicycle,” which ensures a 95% pre-assembled bike with a dual-brake system for safety. It has a variety when it comes to the size of the balance bike.
- The second one is the ” Bixe Aluminum Balance Bike,” which is very light in overall weight. And hence, it can be handled by a toddler without any hassle and has a variety of options when it comes to the overall size.
If you still feel you have queries unanswered above, please comment below and allow us to resolve the same more efficiently.